Have you heard of George Kinder? He is a well-known life planning expert. When it comes to retirement planning, it is not all about the money. The hard part is figuring out what is important. George has come up with three big questions that I want everyone to think about.
Each of the questions is tough to answer. It will take meditation, prayer, time alone, and conversations with your loved one(s) to answer these questions. Do not miss this deep and introspective episode of Best in Wealth!
Outline of This Episode
- [1:07] You never know where life will take you
- [2:55] Three big questions to ponder about your future
- [6:31] Question #1: What would you do if you could do anything?
- [9:44] Question #2: What would you do if you were given an end date?
- [12:48] Question #3: What would you do if you had one day left?
Question #1: What would you do if you could do anything?
Imagine that you are financially secure and you can do whatever you want. How would you live your life? Would you change anything? Would life stay the same? Give yourself some time to get deep in thought and imagine what you would want your life to look like. Describe a life that is everything that you desire. How will you live out the rest of your life if money is not a factor?
Many people march hard toward financial independence as if it is the finish line—but it is only a goal. You still have a life to live. And if you are reaching financial independence sooner rather than later, you have more life to live financially free. Describe a life that is richly yours.
Question #2: What would you do if you were given an end date?
Imagine you visit the doctor and you are told you only have 5–10 years left on earth. You will remain healthy and productive. You will not feel sick but your time is restricted. What will you do in the time you have remaining? This question forces you to think about the end of your life and helps you narrow down how you really want to spend your final years. Those become your priorities.
Question #3: What would you do if you had one day left?
You just found out that you have one day left to live. What will you regret the most? What will you miss? What did you regret not being or doing? What relationship did you not have time to mend? What are all the things you wish you would have done differently?
In the end, money does not matter. If you do not know what is truly important to you, you will not live a life of complete fulfillment. Question #1 focuses on designing the life you want to live. Question #2 is about narrowing down what is truly important. Question #3 makes you realize you need to seize the day. Do what you need to do to live a fulfilled life.
How are YOU answering these three questions?
- Best in Wealth episode #200
- Life Planning for You: by George Kinder
- A Golden Civilization and The Map of Mindfulness: by George Kinder
- Lighting the Torch: The Kinder Method(TM) of Life Planning: by George Kinder and Susan Galvan
- The Seven Stages of Money Maturity: by George Kinder
Connect With Scott Wellens
- Connect with Fortress Planning Group on LinkedIn
- Connect with Scott on LinkedIn
- Follow Scott on Twitter
- Fortress Planning Group on Facebook
- Subscribe to Best In Wealth Podcast
- View Scott's profile on Fee-Only Network and NAPFA
The Best In Wealth Podcast is hosted by Scott Wellens. Scott Wellens is the principal at Fortress Planning Group. Fortress Planning Group is a registered investment advisory firm regulated by the Securities Act of Wisconsin in accordance and compliance with securities laws and regulations. Fortress Planning Group does not render or offer to render personalized investment or tax advice through the Best In Wealth Podcast. The information provided is for informational purposes only and does not constitute financial, tax, investment or legal advice.